Listen in as we launch our new series: “Good News for Tough Times.” This week’s good news? Jesus is God with us!
Good News: Jesus is God With Us
Speaker: Paul Kiss
Date: May 3, 2020
1 | Was Jesus God? Wrong question.
Text: John 1:14-18
• A better question to ask is how N.T. Wright words it. “Is it true that the living God was uniquely and personally present in Jesus? (Wright, The Original Jesus)
2 | Upside-Down Thinking
Text: John 1:14
• God doesn’t just come to us, be he becomes one of us
• Sarx/flesh – human frailty, human nature, sometimes sinful nature
• “God’s ultimate message to us was not written through paper and ink but through flesh and blood.” (Bruxy Cavey, Reunion).
3 | God Has a Face
Text: John 1:18; Hebrews 1:1-3; Colossians 1:15; Philippians 2:6
• If you want to know what God is like, look to Jesus
“One of the most fascinating aspects of the good news message that Jesus preaches is that he centred his message on one essential element: himself… The hospel is the story of a person, and that person is Jesus. This means that if you want to learn about the gospel, you’ll need to learn about Jesus.” – Bruxy Cavey, Reunion
4 | The Good News in One Word
• Good news: God looks like Jesus
< The Gospel in 30 Words
“Jesus is God with us, come to: show us God’s love, save us from sin, set up God’s kingdom and shut down religion, so we can share in God’s life.”