When the stakes were high, Jesus referred his followers to this Creed from Matthew 22:37-39. Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbour as yourself.’ When all else fails and you’re not sure what to do – love.
Speaker: Paul Kiss
Date: March 8, 2020
1 | Creeds and fundamentals
Text: Romans 10:8-10; 1 Corinthians 15:3-5; Philippians 2:6-11
These are potentially all very early Creeds of the church.
2 | The Jesus Creed – The Most Fundamental
When the stakes are high, Jesus referred his followers to this Creed.
Love is fundamental
• God asks for our love
How do you love God?
Loving God is about keeping him in the centre of your life.
• Heart/Kardia – seat or centre of spiritual/physical life.
• Soul/Psyche – the soul/force that animates the body, the seat or centre of feelings.
• Mind/Dianoia – the faculty of understanding, feeling, desiring.
• Strength/Iskus – the extent of one’s ability, strength, might
3 | What might need to change in your life in order to keep God in the centre
1. What is your experience with the Creeds of the Church? How have they influenced you? If you have never encountered the Apostle’s Creed until now, what is your first impression?
2. What might be some benefits of reciting Creeds like the Apostle’s? Drawbacks?
Discussing and Learning:
3. Read Acts 10:36; Romans 10:9; 2Corinthians 4:5. These contain one of the earliest Creeds of the Church. What is the Creed, or statement? What are the implications of citing this Creed even for us today?.
4. In Matthew 22:34-40, Jesus cites from Deuteronomy 6:5. “God is Lord.” How does this add to your understanding from the previous question regarding the creed that states “Jesus is Lord?” Read Deut. 6:4-9 and discuss how these verses might apply to the Matthew 22 passage.
5. Read Mark 12:33. Loving God, in this verse, is said to be more important than what? What would be some modern day equivalents of this verse?
Making it Real:
6. Based on the sermon, the verses, and your experience, what are some real ways we can show our love for God? Be as specific as you can.
7. What might need to change in your life, in order to keep God in the centre?
8. Respond to the following suggestion: Set your phone alarm to go off in the morning and mid-afternoon, reminding you to recite the Jesus Creed of Matthew 22:37-39.
1. Set your phone alarm to go off in the morning and mid-afternoon, reminding you to recite the Jesus Creed of Matthew 22:37-39. Do this everyday until Easter Sunday. (Then keep doing it. : )
2. Sit with a good friend and discuss what it means to place and keep God in the centre of your life. What will that look like for you?