When you think of the term “generosity,” what comes to mind and why? Join us this week as we launch our new series, Kingdom Generosity. Listen as we journey along with Paul Kiss by looking at a beautiful story of “excessive generosity” from Mark 14:1-9 as well as unpacking Matthew 26:6-13, Luke 7:36-50 and John 12:1-8. Together we are challenged to let excessive generosity be the norm for those who call Jesus Lord.
Speaker: Paul Kiss
Date: November 3, 2019
𝟙 │ A Beautiful Story Of Excessive Generosity
Text: Mark 14:1-9
Excessive Generosity — “Giving more than you initially think necessary or desirable.”
𝟚 │ Two Responses To Generosity:
1. Judgment – “This money could have been given to the poor!” Mark 14:4-5
2. Celebration – “She has done what she could…this woman’s deed will be remembered and discussed.” Mark 14:6-9
𝟛 │ Excessive Generosity Is Good News
Text: Mark 14:9
● It is good news for everyone, including the poor. Deuteronomy 15:10-11
● “The Poor:” A blessing to be received not a problem to be fixed. Luke 6:20-21; 14:12-14
● Poverty is the problem, not the poor.
𝟜 │ Three Questions To Cultivate A Habit Of Generosity
1. How much do I have? Luke 7:36-50
● Start with what you have instead of what you don’t have.
● Generosity begins with gratitude.
2. How much will I keep? Mark 12:41-44
● The woman’s heart is a good example of answering this question.
3. How can I grow a heart of generosity? Proverbs 21:26
● Start small.
● Be generous daily.
● Kill your excuses.
1. When you think of the term “generosity,” what comes to mind? Why?
2. When you think of the term “excessive generosity,” what comes to mind? Why?
3. From whom have you learned about generosity? How did they teach you?
Discussing and Learning:
4. Read the account of Mark 14-1-9 again. What are your initial perceptions and questions about the woman who anointed Jesus?
5. There is another story about “excessive generosity” in Mark 12:32-44. How is this story similar to the woman anointing Jesus? How is it different? What lessons can we learn from this story about generosity? Cf. Mark 12:13-17, especially vs 17.
Making it Real:
6. With which character(s) do you identify most? The woman, the disciples, or the “poor” that Jesus mentions? What can you learn from them through this story?
7. What is one thing you could do to increase your heart for excessive generosity – a heart like Jesus?
1. Spend time in prayer and ask God to do an audit of your generosity. Invite him to suggest to you where you can grow in your generosity.
1. Read this article on the “Science of Generosity”: read article here