When you think of “spiritual blessings,” what comes to mind?
Why is it harder to think of spiritual blessings instead of physical ones?
Join us as we look into every spiritual blessing. Listen as Paul Kiss explores
Ephesians 1:1-8 and together we’ll learn that in Jesus, being part of God’s family
benefits all his children.
Every Spiritual Blessing
Speaker: Paul Kiss
Date: September 1, 2019
1. The value of benefits
2. Family benefits
Text: Ephesians 1:1-3
3. Jesus offers benefits
Text: Ephesians 1:4
4. Spiritual benefits
Text: Ephesians 1:4-8
5. Enjoying the good things from Jesus
Text: Ephesians 4:1
1. You have 15 seconds to list 5 “blessings” in your life. Go. After you did this, how many of those “blessings” were physical things?
2. When you think of “spiritual blessings,” what comes to mind? Why is it harder to think of spiritual blessings instead of physical ones?
Discussing and Learning:
3. The Apostle Paul starts this letter by praising God for his blessings in Christ, vs 3. What’s another word for “blessings” that non-church attenders might grasp more clearly?
4. Read Ephesians 1:1-8 together. How many “spiritual blessings” does the Apostle Paul list in these verses, 4-8?
5. Read Matthew 5:3-11. How do these words of Jesus add to our understanding of “spiritual blessings?”
Making it Real:
6. What is it that prevents us from recognizing “spiritual blessings” as being real and relevant for us today? What can you do to change that?
1. Spend time considering the spiritual blessings listed in Ephesians 1:3-8 and look for them in your own life. List out how they are being realized in your life. Give thanks to God for this.
2. Read Matthew 5:3-11 and ponder the “upside-down” nature of how Jesus looks at what we consider negative and declares them to be blessings. Reflect on what this might mean for how the Church lives out the principles of God’s kingdom for the world.