Trust the foundation stone of every relationship, but sometimes we struggle in our faith to trust God.
We begin our This Is Us series by looking at our story of trust. Paul Kiss digs into and unpacks Psalm 22.
We learn that if we look behind, we can remember God’s faithfulness and increase our ability to trust in Him.
This is Us: A Story About Trust
Speaker: Paul Kiss
Date: July 7, 2019
1. When it’s hard to trust.
2. When it’s hard to trust God.
Text: Psalm 22:1-21
Text: Proverbs 28:26; 3:5-6; 2 Corinthians 1:9
Text: Isaiah 30:8-17
3. Remembering: A catalyst for trust.
Text: Psalm 22:3-5, 9-10, 22-24
Text: Hebrews 11; Exodus 34:6; Psalms 36:5; 57:10; 86:15; 89
4. Generational approaches to trust.
4. Trust is foundational to every relationship.
1. “Trust the foundation stone of every relationship.” What is your response to that statement?
2. What reasons might people have for their struggle to fully trust God? What about you? What are your reasons for struggling to trust God?
3. Read Psalm 22:1-2 and then read verses 23-24. How do the latter verses correct David’s thinking in the first verses? How does remembering the faithfulness of God help him reach the conclusion of verses 23-24?
4. Read Isaiah 30:8-22. The context of these verses involves Israel facing the approaching Assyrian Army, which has destroyed every kingdom that has stood against it. How would you reword the idea or concept of these verses to a modern day scenario? Reword the context to show how these are still applicable to our ability to trust God today.
5. If looking behind, or remembering, is a good way to increase our ability to trust God, what are those events in your life, or the lives of others, that you could remember to help you trust God in your present situation?
6. What are ways we can encourage each other to keep trusting? (Cf. Hebrews 12:1-3)
1. Watch the following video about trust. (Hint. Watch it the first time but then play it again and just listen, without watching. You’ll catch more of it the second time): Watch Here.
2. In what part of your life are you struggling to trust God? Consider what you could do to try to grow your trust in him. The first step might be your willingness to talk with a friend about your struggle.