When you think about sharing the good news of Jesus with others, what emotions surface? Excitement? Anxiety? We set out to explore how early Christians spread the gospel of Jesus as we continue our One Story series. Listen as Paul Kiss digs into Acts 17 as together we are reminded that when we preach about Jesus that the gospel we share is actually good news to those who are listening.
PDF Insert Download
Early Christians and Jesus
Speaker: Paul Kiss
Date: June 30, 2019
1. Focus and Mission:
● The early Christians were focused: Tell the world about the good news of Jesus.
2. Good News: What they didn’t preach.
● They didn’t preach about hell.
● They didn’t preach about how evil the world had become.
3. Good News: What they did preach. Acts 17
● They followed the leading of the Holy Spirit. Text: 16:6-8
● They affirmed people when they could. Text: 17:22-23
● They spoke the language of the people.
● Jews – they used OT Scriptures. Text: 22:1-21
● Gentiles – they used teaching familiar to them. Text: 17:28
● They told their stories of being with Jesus. Text: 26:1-29
● They preached Jesus crucified and resurrected. Text: 17:31; 10:39-43
● The invited people to turn to Jesus to be saved from their sins. 17:30
● They preached forgiveness in and through Jesus. Text: 13:38-39; 10:43
4. Clarity and Mission
● We have one mission.
● Tell the world the good news of Jesus.
● Let’s make sure we get the message right.
● We need to think like missionaries in today’s world.
1. When you think about sharing the good news of Jesus with others, what excites you? What scares you?
2. If you could sum up the good news in a few sentences, what would you say?
3. Break into groups and spend time reading two sermons in Acts. Group 1 – Read Acts 10:34-43 and list what Peter preaches. What does he say? Group 2 – Read Acts 26:1-29 and list what Paul preaches. What does he say? How does he use his story? Regroup after 25 minutes and compare your notes.
4. What would you include in your own personal story, if you were sharing the good news of Jesus with someone? List your points and share them with the group.
5. Homework: Practice writing out your story and include the good news of Jesus within it. Share it with a friend and ask for feedback on how to make it even better.
1. Read through Acts to see for yourself what the early Christians preached. Passages are listed in the insert.
2. Watch Bruxy Cavey share about what the good news of Jesus is: Watch Here.