We all are in search of sage advice and have areas where we are seeking some everyday wisdom.
Lean in as we continue our One Story series by circling in on Proverbs and Ecclesiastes.
Listen as Paul Kiss unpacks these books as we learn that wisdom can make life good but better still,
it leads us to the life that only Jesus gives.
Solomon and Jesus
Speaker: Paul Kiss
Date: March 31, 2019
1. We need wisdom in this world
2. Everyday wisdom
3. A life of wisdom
4. Jesus offers both
Text: Matthew 7:24
5. God promises wisdom
Text: James 1:5; 3:13-18
If you are wise and understand God’s ways, prove it by living an honourable life, doing good works with the humility that comes from wisdom. — James 3:13
1. What is a wise proverb or saying that you have found helpful? Why?
2. Read Proverbs 1:1-7. What is the purpose of this book of compiled proverbs? How do they achieve this?
3. Proverbs 1:7 introduces us to “the fear of the Lord.” How is this foundational to wisdom? Cf. Ecclesiastes 12:13.
4. What do you wish more for: the everyday wisdom of Proverbs, or the broader wisdom that is dealt with in Job and Ecclesiastes? Why?
5. Read Ephesians 1:3-8. How do verses 1-7 describe the wisdom and understanding that the Apostle Paul writes about in verse 8? According to these verses, what do “wisdom and understanding” recognize?
6. Read 1 Corinthians 1:18-31. Discuss what you learn about the difference between the wisdom of God and what is considered wise in this world? What is the significant difference between these? What does that mean for how we live?
7. When Jesus calls us to live in ways that seem so counter-intuitive to the wisdom of our age, (ie. “to love our enemies”), how do we learn to trust him and obey?
8. What is one area where you are seeking some everyday wisdom? Share that with the group and pray for one another, according to James 1:5 and 3:13-18.
1. Watch this video, from The Bible Project, about the book of Ecclesiastes: watch here.
2. Sit down with someone this week and have a conversation about wisdom, what it is, and how you can learn to acquire it.