Meals are a time to hit pause and connect over good food. The early church regularly practised gathering together over meals. In today’s message we continue our Food series as Paul Kiss unpacks Romans 12:13. We are reminded that sharing a meal is a great way to introduce people to Jesus and are challenged to put that into practise this week.
Food: A Meal With Others
Speaker: Paul Kiss
Date: March 17, 2019
1. People + Food = Many good things
2. Early Christians and Meals
● Luke 15:1-2; 14:12-14
● Acts 2:46-47; 20:7-12
● Romans – 12:13
● 1 Peter 4:7-9
● Hebrews 13:2
● Jude – 12
● Revelation 3:20
3. Share a meal this week
“Jesus intended his use of the open dinner table to be a central feature in the Christian tradition he was instilling in his followers.”
– Dr Julian Hills.
4. En Route Initiative:
We want to host an information meeting for anyone interested in exploring how to use natural times and places like meals to have meaningful relationships and spiritual conversations with those who may never consider attending a Sunday morning.
Sign up if you’re interested. At newlifecollingwood.com scroll to the bottom of the page and click the “Sign Up” button. Follow the prompts till you get to “En Route Information” meeting.
1. How was it for you to gather around a meal with people last week and celebrate God’s goodness?
2. Our culture has shifted from sharing meals in homes to meeting people for a meal in restaurants. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
3. What are the pros and cons of practicing hospitality in a home compared to a restaurant?
4. Read Luke 15:1-2. What connections does Luke make in these verses between the way Jesus taught and food? Visualize the scene. According to the Pharisees, what is happening when people come to listen to Jesus? (vs. 2).
5. Read Revelation 3:20. What is significant about what Jesus wants to do with his Church? What are the implications?
6. Go to Luke 14:12-14. What instructions does Jesus give people about hospitality to others? How might you follow his guidance more often? How often do you think we need to do this?
7. How will you do #1 in “Give It A Try?”
1. Invite someone, or a group, to share a meal with you this week. Practice hospitality. Make them feel loved. If natural and appropriate, talk about faith, about life, about Jesus.
2. Sign up the “En Route Information Meeting.” See above for how to do that.