Steve Hall shares with us today about the deep meaning behind some of the songs that we sing at New Life Church.
Why Do We Sing That?
Speaker: Steve Hall
Date: July 22, 2018
Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshippers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshippers the Father seeks. God is spirit, and his worshippers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.
1. Have you ever had difficulty understanding the words to a song in church? What song was it? Did this make you feel disconnected from worshipping God?
2. Singing is just one way to let the worship that is inside us make its way to the outside of us. What are some other ways that you express worship?
3. What is your “Ebenezer?” What event in your life do you look back on, remembering that God has been faithful to you, and use that to help you through difficult times?
4. Looking at the words to the Bridge of “Hosanna” and 1 Corinthians 4:20, what situations have you faced when you’ve asked God to show you his heart for a person or a situation? How did you respond? Did you feel as though you were able to respond “living by God’s power?”
5. Reflecting on Jesus’ words “It is finished,” do you struggle at all to feel like there really is no more condemnation? Do you feel as though you’re living the “new way” of grace, or still struggling with the “old way” of condemnation?
1. Choose a worship song that you enjoy. Look up the lyrics. Are there any parts of the song that you don’t understand? Using Biblegateway.com, or another similar resource, see what you can discover.
2. Write your own “Anthem of Grace.” Spend time reflecting on ways you’ve seen God’s grace in your life. Summarize this in a few lines that you can memorize.