Is it possible to hear God? How do we know it’s God’s voice we are hearing? Have you ever felt as though God has spoken to you, but then had a hard time trusting that it was truly God doing the speaking? Listen as Steve Hall explores this question in this week’s message, “Is It Easy To Listen?” We’ll learn that to truly listening requires intending to listen.
Is It Easy To Listen?
Speaker: Steve Hall
Date: June 24, 2018
1. Is it possible to hear God?
2. Truly listening requires intending to listen
• a: Stop Talking
• b: Train yourself to listen
3. What are we listening for?
• a: Listening for the whisper
• b: How do I know it’s God’s voice I’m hearing?
1. How have you felt in the past about listening for and hearing God’s voice? Has it been an easy thing for you to do, or has it been difficult? Why?
2. Have you ever had a “burning bush experience” – an experience where you felt God spoke so clearly that it was undeniably God who was doing the speaking? What was it God used to get your attention?
3. Has God ever used another person to speak to you? If so, how did you receive this communication? With acceptance? Defensively? Why?
4. How do you “listen with intent” in order to hear God’s voice? What practices are part of your life in order to facilitate this?
5. How easy is it for you to “stop talking” in order to facilitate good listening? With the people in your life? As you desire to hear God?
6. Have you ever felt as though God has spoken to you, but then had a hard time trusting that it was truly God doing the speaking? How did you resolve this in order to arrive at clarity?
1. Pick someone in your life (spouse, friend, co-worker) and practice giving them the gift of loving listening. Let them know that you’d like to hear about something that’s important to them. Then, just sit and listen.
2. Read a favourite passage of Scripture. Ask yourself: what does this reveal to me about God’s character? How can this help me discern something I think God might be saying to me?