Thanks for listening to today’s podcast, the third in our “Mary Christmas” series. This message by Paul Kiss explores the visit from the three “Wise Men”. Key verses are from Matthew 2:1-12.
Mary: Finding Jesus†
Speaker: Paul Kiss
Date: December 17, 2017
1. Surprise Visitors
Text: Matthew 2:1-12
2. Who “gets its” and who doesn’t?
3. Finding Jesus
4. The cost of saying “yes.”
1. Up until this time, how have you traditionally thought of “wise-men” or magi?
2. What new things did you learn about Mary and the Magi from this teaching?
3. Read Jeremiah 3:14-18. How might this passage of Scripture have shaped Mary’s understanding of the meaning of the Magi’ visit?
4. Astrologers and magicians are not looked favourably upon in the OT. What message does the story of Matthew 2 give to the world about who is permitted to come to Jesus? Move beyond that basic answer to discuss the implications of what that truly means for anyone who is seeking after God.
5. Mary introduced the Magi to Jesus and then all of them were in “hot water” with the powers that be. Share some stories about how this happened in your life or in the life of someone you know. How can we be supportive of those who are facing difficulties because of their choice to follow Jesus?
1. Listen to the song, “Mary did you know?” and let the words sink deep into your soul.
2. If you know someone who is searching spiritually, invite them to consider joining you at our Christmas Eve service. Help them find Jesus.
† A lot of the material for this particular sermon comes from Scott McKnight and his thinking in, “The Real Mary.”